top of page
  • Meha Naran

Should I be Concerned About Mold in My Home?

Updated: Oct 21, 2022

Mold is a naturally occurring fungi that typically grows outdoors on decaying food, animals, plants, and other moist surfaces. When mold spores find their way into your home and land in moisture rich areas, such as by showers, windows, and washers, they grow to become a significant issue.

There are several forms of mold that typically grow indoors: Cladosporium, Penicillium, and Aspergillus. All of which can be hazardous to you and your home. Unfortunately many do not properly remedy the issue when attempting to do it themselves, or miss the common areas of growth that can’t be seen, like in insulation or drywall. This is why having trained mold removal experts handle the contamination is essential.

When mold growth is left untreated, it can be harmful to the health of you and your family, contribute to the deterioration of your home, and can leave your surroundings looking and smelling awful.

Mold covered item

Mold Can Be Harmful to Your Health

Exposure to mold can contribute to several health concerns. Like any external contaminants, everyone is affected differently. Just because some people may have mild reactions, doesn't mean everyone will.

Many people are allergic to mold and even those who aren’t can suffer the negative health effects. Health effects of asbestos can cause irritation in the upper respiratory tract, like coughing. Those affected by asthma or are genetically predisposed to it can have more severe reactions and suffer from asthma attacks.

According to Healthline, those who suffer from chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), compromised immune systems, and cystic fibrosis are also at a higher risk of experiencing complications from exposure. Beyond lung irritation and coughing, breathing or touching mold can cause headaches, eye irritation, congestion, and skin rashes for all people.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has noted research showing “a potential link of early mold exposure to development of asthma in some children, particularly among children who may be genetically susceptible to asthma development.”

Exposure to mold can be a health hazard for anyone. Since it can grow, sometimes undetected in hidden areas of your home, it is imperative to let certified mold inspection and remediation services safely remove the contamination and prevent further growth.

Mold Negatively Impacts Your Home

Mold can hurt more than your body, it can be damaging to your home. If mold remediation services are conducted early by experts, you can avoid a number of potential issues.

When mold is not properly treated early on, it can continue to grow and spread beyond easily accessible areas. Drywall is porous and insulation can act like a sponge to moisture, creating the perfect breeding grounds for mold to continue growing. When mold expands behind walls and underneath the floors it can mean expensive repairs and replacement of the affected materials.

Mold can quickly go from invisible to problematic. The appearance of the common forms of mold is indicated by white, black, and green speckles. When mold can’t be seen you can sometimes discover it by its foul smell that is often described as musty.

When keeping an eye out for any growth, check thoroughly where any moisture is often present. Edges and corners behind appliances like sinks and fridges, or the ceilings above showers where steam rises to are all common hot spots.

Mold can grow anywhere if it can be made a hospitable environment. Places that aren’t typically hot spots of mold growth can still become it’s new home if moisture is present. If you spill a drink on your carpet and it doesn’t dry quickly or if a water leak occurs for example. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends drying any water damaged areas within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.

At the first signs of mold growth you should contact mold remediation experts for their treatments. By doing so you can avoid unnecessary damage and expensive bills.

Mold growth in Petri dish

Let The Professionals Handle it

Mold is a hazardous contamination that can be tricky to remove safely. It can hide in plain sight, remaining in treated areas waiting to grow back.

Professional mold removal experts can conduct visual assessments of affected areas to determine the approach they will take. They have the experience and knowledge to treat the problem with effective and safe techniques and ensure regrowth won’t occur when they test treated areas for remaining mold.

Considering the potential health risks associated with mold exposure, its removal is a delicate task. Disturbing the affected areas can release mold spores and risk new areas of growth. Professional remediation of mold is essential for protecting you and your family from the potential harm that a DIY cleaning could cause.

Mold removal experts are here to help keep you and your home safe. With their knowledge and experience they can eliminate the mold growth in your home, ensuring a safer environment for you to live in.

Call the Mold Experts at Air Methods Environmental

If you notice potential mold growth in your home, call a medical professional right away to get help. Additionally, contact Air Methods Environmental to schedule an asbestos air monitoring, household mold removal, lead testing, or asbestos air testing. Contact us today at (541) 668 - 1848 or fill out the form here.

17 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page